Old 08-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #44
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

I have definetly found something that is frustrating about the minimite level. Peoples shiiiiitass kids.

Some of you I spoke with privately about a kid we had in the league who sucked and instead of trying to play would skate around running kids from behind and boarding them. He was little and weak on his skates so even though he was dangerous he wasnt to dangerous. An anonymous email was sent to the league head and the child and father were called in and told they would be banned if it occurred again. This child has now been much better.

That said a new kid has decided to start crosschecking kids from behind. Again another poor skater. Today his mom who is clearly a model citizen was filming her kid and a group of us decided to discuss some kids issues with crosschecking. She gave a dirty look. After the boy went after Micah I called him over and right infront of her said "hey if that boy keeps crosschecking you its okay for you to defend yourself" . This women gave me a very dirty look. After the game she again scowled at me when she walked by.

Looking back I am kind of regreting this. I generally tell Micah just skate harder if someone bothers him. I know these kids tend to get weeded out naturaley, but its just irritating. Clearly Micah being so young and not understanding why the kid crosschecked him and how to handle it adds to my frustration as his parent. I guess this is the downside of having your kids start so young and play with 6-7 year olds. next year I know this wont be an issue.

You dads with experience how did you address it
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote