View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: English blends, which should I try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
So I have a couple blends I've tried.

I bought some Mac Baren Virginia #1 and some Altadis B20 black cavendish, which I blended together about 50/50. It tastes a lot like raisins to me. It's not bad, but I'm not a huge raisin fan. I may try adding more of the virginia to get it closer to 70/30.

And if you don't like that, you've simply thrown away more tobacco to a blend you do not like. I'd say cut my losses and throw it away - or suffer through it till it is gone - or send it to someone who likes raisins.

I also got a sample of 5 star gold from Sterling, which tastes okay, but seems to give me bad tongue bite.

Then don't smoke it (see above options).

The 3rd, which is my favorite so far, is the Peter Stokkebye Proper English. I was wondering if some of you more experienced smokers who like english blends could recommend a few of your favorites so that I can go sample some new blends. Something that's similar to the Proper English, but better? I like that it has a good balance between full flavor and sweetness. Plus, it doesn't seem to give me any tongue bite unless I really overdo it.

Thanks in advance!
Other English blends? OK, here goes.

Two Friends - Deacon's Downfall (made and distributed by Cornell & Diehl)
Cornell & Diehl - Bow-legged Bear, #416 Plantation Evening
Esoterica - Penzance
Gawith & Hoggarth - Mixture #12

Many like Dunhill - 965 (personally, never been a big fan)

And my suggestion is to try stuff, just to see what you like. A call to Cornell & Diehl Craig & Patty Tarler Tel: (800) 433-0080, could get you a sample of three I mention above, and I am sure they'd gladly recommend others.

Peace of the Lord be with you.