View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice
Default Re: How many bowls a day?

So Adam - here's the thing - it's all about mood. Sometimes I go weeks without touching a pipe, because I am cigar mode, or clean lung mode (yes, that does happen). In the winter I generally have a bowl on the way to work (I walk) and one heading home. Sometimes at a herf I'll light a couple back to back. My pipe pouch always has 2 pipes in it.

I have some rules - I don't mix pipes used for aros with those used for traditional blends. My Dunhill '61 bulldog only ever smokes Penzance - it's like some weird superstition that such a classy pipe needs an exceptional tobacco. If a tobacco smokes "wet" I'll switch pipes for a different blend. I rotate pipes - I have a couple of favorites, but I make a point of letting them dry between smokes.

Pipe smoking has a serious fiddle factor to it - packing, lighting (relighting), cleaning, scraping, changing, collecting, etc are all part of the experience.

No science in it - just tradition and superstition. If you have enough pipes you can have a whole lot of fun mixing things up.

Unless you're retired or have a government job, you're kinda limited in how many you can have in a day anyway.