Thread: Scam Alert!
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #25
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Scam Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
All you're supposed to need is the fraud affidavit supplied by the debit card company.

The thing about stealing numbers is simple. There is a guy with a wireless connected laptop waiting on the swiped info from the mole inside the restaurant. They swipe your card through their wireless scanner and it transmits all the info to his laptop. The mole then contacts the laptop guy and provides PIN # and such. Before you have cranked your car, a duplicate card has been made elsewhere and someone is already charging your card up. It's way too easy these days to steal credit card info. A restaurant employee can make 100 times his wages in one week stealing numbers.
I just had a fraudulent charge on my debit card for $320. I got a call from the company that does security for my credit union 6 minutes after asking if I made the purchase at a Kmart in Dover, Delaware. I'm from Detroit and I've never been to Delaware in my life. They cancelled the card immediately, but I was told to ask Kmart to reverse the charges, which they wouldn't. Next I had to get a police report, then I had to go to my credit union with a letter explaining my side of the story, only to have to fill out a fraud claim form which had to be signed and notorized. Insane.

My previous credit union took care of all of this for me. I simply got a call, told them I didn't make those charges, and a few days later a new card in the mail.

Anyway, the interesting part was the register indicated the card was swiped in Delaware even though I had it in my pocket in Michigan. Obviously it was duplicated. By who, I may never know. My local police said he'd try to get camera footage and track them down with help of Delaware police, but he also said given the amount he likely wouldn't be extradited to Michigan even if caught. He said that usually only happens if the same guy is tracked doing multiple credit card frauds.

I did get my money back. Still waiting on the new card.