View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lets See Your Hunting Rifles

30-06 and .308 are plenty for whitetail. 30-30 is probably the most common deer rifle caliber east of the Mississippi with 30-06 at a close second.

I hunt in a county that does allow rifle. I do, however, carry my shotgun often as I am not comfortable with the rifle in certain locations and also when I'm on the move since I am much quicker with iron sights.

That being said, I hunt with a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 with a 3-9x40 scope and a Remington 870 12 ga, with a SMOOTH bore and iron sights. I just can't justify spending more on sabot slugs than I do on 30-06 cartridges....especially since I've only seen them have a 20yd benefit vs. the smoothbore. Also have a Winchester 94 in 30-30, but that's been abused and is tough to get on paper at 50 yards....so its a wall hanger.

As far as suggestions, get a .22 and get used to shooting....it'll be a lot cheaper. For good rifles without breaking the bank, Savage and Tikka are the brands that come to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Kinevel View Post
Well you have to ask yourself some questions first.

1. where are you hunting?
2. can you use rifle in that area or is it shotgun only?
3.what type of terrain are you hunting in (wide open or heavily wooded)
4. how many different types of animals do you plan on harvesting with one rifle?

I myself hunt mostly in shotgun counties. I use a Mossberg 500 20ga with a rifled barrel and bushnell scope. I do have a Remington .270 that I use when I go hunting in rifle counties.

Answer some of them there feller's questions and we can give you some better answers.
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote