View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #64
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: Beer Prices v. Wine Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Honestly I think a lot of it is snobbery.

Cheap wine, expensive wine, whatever. I think it's the fact that a bottle of wine is often associated with a higher class beverage, like a nice scotch. If you look at television and movies (I know you're saying to yourself "don't believe everything you see on t.v. dummy Darrell) you will see that wine is always portrayed in the limelight as a beverage for the rich folks, the classy folks, etc.

Beer on the other hand be it Stone, Bear Republic, Rogue, Pabst, Natural Ice, etc. It's portrayed as the blue collar working mans drink. A guy comes home in his grubby clothes and sits down for a beer, to a lot of people beer is just beer, they don't look for the unique flavors that some of us know it has to offer, they just see that dirty guy sitting in his greasy clothes swilling a Budweiser. He's not sitting there in a 3 piece suit with a pocket watch, turning his pinky up.

As I said, a lot of it comes down to snobbery. Society has been led to believe that wine = money and status and beer = dirty working man piss water.

I agree with this post.

Why do people spend $14 on a crap bottle of wine, when they could spend $14 on a great 4pack of craft beer? Well, I do believe snobbery plays a role. Like D said, society sees wine as classy, elegant, while beer not so much. Thats just how it is. People want to have status. But who cares anyway? Also, I believe another answer to your question Vic is simple. Taste and preference. Some people just prefer vino to beer. Just my pennies.