View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Turkish Coffee - Legal Drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but most will put sugar in with the ground coffee before brewing. One green cardamon pod per person is good enough for novice drinkers. Lightly crush pod and take out seeds. Seeds should be nearly black with some sheen on the surface.

Most places that specialize in this coffee will grind in the cardamon along with the beans. I would shy off from doing this unless you go through a lot of coffee to absord the residual cardamon taste in the grinder.
I've had good luck with a pinch of cardamom from the spice rack jar. It isn't the like the actual, official, seed but it tastes the same to me. I did extract some cardamom seed pods from some some turkish whole-bean coffee and mashed them up - seemed to drink the same as cardamom powder. Am I missing something, d'you think, enough to bother with actual seeds?

I was not willing to run those seeds thru my Mazzer, BTW. Didn't think the smell would be easily removed.