View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #53
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colts to Release Peyton Manning

From what I understand, Seattle and Kansas City are off Peyton's radar altogether.
It's down to Miami, Denver, Arizona, and Tennessee.
I think Tennessee and Denver are just getting played. Tennessee is the worst 9-7 team I've ever seen. Look at their wins/losses last year. They really did almost nothing remarkable.
Arizona pulled their act together at the end of the year and did some exceptional things.
Miami did nothing remarkable all year, but I put that directly on Moore and Henne who had nothing going on at all. I didn't look at their D, but they did well against the rush (who runs the ball?). I've contended Miami is a QB away for the last 3 years.
Peyton has to know that the low pressure in Denver will play hell on his neck (spine injuries go apesh1t when the pressure is low, it renders most anyone with back/neck problems almost useless).
That alone has to rule out Denver, or put a huge dent in it. His cold weather stats also play a big part.. I think he went there out of respect for Elway, to sniff them out and gather intel. Although it might be an easy division win if you add Peyton and Wayne. He has time to pull them together and make a run at the hardware, but to do it in the cold? I really don't think so. I can't believe he thinks that'd fly, either.
Realistically, I think we have Miami and AZ. I think he's a bad move for Miami, but I don't think they care, economically. Peyton will sell an INCREDIBLE amount of jerseys and revitalize that sinking ship overnight, and he's a value at any cost. I also don't think they care if he ever throws a ball, and I mean that literally. If he doesn't, that creates buzz and puts them on page one. That matters. With a Manning purchase, they immediately go from NFL obscurity to all the talk on every show, radio station, party, you name it. They become an instant brand sensation. They sell 10,000,000 jerseys before the season even starts (I'll have one for my collection).
I think Flynn changes that team and makes them instantly better and a force for the next five plus years, and he's a long-term perfect fit, but the economics and politics rule that out now that Peyton is available. That said, Miami probably takes Peyton and Tannehill if they're smart. That's not even smart, that's genius. If Tannehill has the right stuff (he certainly does physically) and Peyton takes him under his wing, he's going to be a great football mind. I don't know enough about Tannehill to lay any creedence to that hypothesis, so you guys will have to analyze that.
Arizona went 7-2 out of their last 9 last year, they have Fitzgerald, add Peyton and Wayne and you have a nice offense that plays in the sun.
It's a coin-flip between the two teams, for my money.
My gut has had AZ from the get, just because they've done this kind of thing before and know what they're doing. Miami is a zoo. I don't know if Peyton wants that distraction while he gets healthy, because I truly believe he wants to play, first and foremost. Miami will put a lot of star pressure on him and demand a ton of limelight from him, and I don't think Archie will let him play there.
But AZ is in the NFC. That could be the deal breaker, putting him head to head against Eli. At this point in their careers and Eli having two rings, I'd think that doesn't weigh so much with Archie.
It's a real tough call, isn't it?
I'd take a bet that he lands in AZ.

Last edited by shilala; 03-13-2012 at 07:54 AM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote