First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Homemade Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
So I have a rookie question.

The pork shoulder (picnic) has a layer of skin along one side. Can I use that in my sausage? Or should it be removed?
Leaving it in will give you a product called "cotechino", an Italian sausage that has pork rind ground in. Personally I dont like it, but some people love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
What a pain in the ass! I sure hope it is because I am new at this.

The grinding and seasoning went fine. Trying to stuff the casing without air pockets is impossible or just takes practice. Don't know if I am doing something wrong or it's just inexperience. Portions look great but then there are major air pockets.
Just fill the casing while guiding it with your hand, "slowing it" if you will. Be careful, the casings are fragile.

At the deli we use corn cob holders to create small holes for the air pockets to escape, prior to twisting into links. Once you have your links portioned then you can go back over and get any pockets you missed.

We always let ours hang for a day before selling them, we find we get better marrying of flavors.

Word of caution, when you put them on the grill, the fat will render and squirt out of those little holes, so dont turn your back on them, they will flare up something fierce!

Another little tip, USDA requires that all sausage labeled as "Italian" sausage contains fennel. I personally hate the sensation of fennel seeds but enjoy the flavor, (and our original recipe does not call for it.) To circumvent this restriction we use 2 ounces of ground fennel in 100 pounds of pork. But my tip actually is you can grind your fennel if you like the flavor, but not the seeds.

If you would like, I can have my guys give you a little training session when youre out this way in May

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote