View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '10-'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Missouri is SEC competition????

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the SEC this season, with the issues at UK and UT.

Looking forward to Murray State going back to the Dance again. Morehead State might ave been serious competition this year, and may still be, but I think they have some NCAA issues and consequences this season.

Which conference do you see as the most dominant this season?
Missou Tiggers are ranked #15 in both polls, which we both know don't mean jack. But only the Gators and UK are ranked above them (in the SEC), and as you note, the Wildcats have some player issues. The Vols have some too, as well as a gun-shy coach problem.

Murray State may not be one of the "name" mid-majors (Gonzaga, Xavier, Dayton, Butler, Richmond, whoever), yet they have as much a chance as anyone . . . if they come to play. And yeah, I don't remember the particulars, but Morehead does have some $#!+ going on with the NCAA. I'll see if I can pull up the particulars.

Dominant conference? Off the top of my head, I'd pick the Big Ten. Behind them, probably the Big East and Big 12, then the thinner ACC and SEC. Of course, not only does this all depend on health and performance questions (such as, will Texas EVER play to their potential?), but also how problems at schools like UK and KU will shake out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I really like Pitt this year!!
I like Pitt almost every year, but until they actuall DO something I'm not gonna LOVE them. Hell, I ain't even old enough to remember 1941, which was their first . . . and ONLY . . . trip to the Final Four.

Speaking of underachievers like Pitt and UT, both of them help kick off the action tonight:

# 5 Pittsburgh vs. Rhode Island = The Panthers host the Rams, and should open it up in the second half. But don't expect RI to roll over and play dead. They won 26 games last year, made the semis of the NIT, and return about 10 veterans. They will come to play.

# 13 Illinois vs. UC Irvine = If this turns out to be any more than a live scrimmage for the Illini, then I might have to reassess my ranking of the Big 10. The Anteaters had a crappy team last year, and the only change of note was their canning of the coach (Pat Douglass, who won a school-record 197 games yet still lost his job) to bring in fresh blood . . . at the wrong end of the bench. I can't name a single head coach who ever hit a game-winner from the sidelines.

Maryland vs. Seattle = The Terps lose much of their best talent, and return only 6 scholarship veterans. This should be more than enough to pluck the Redhawks. Seattle wasn't bad last year, but they weren't good either . . . and likely won't be this year too.

Texas vs. Navy = This would be the most interesting game of this first night . . . if David Robinson was still a Midshipman. He ain't. The Longhorns usually don't collapse until late in the season, so I'd expect a romp in Austin. But there's something going on down there, mark my word. News is they not only are losing out on a number of future recruits they were counting upon, but their redshirt freshman guard Shawn Williams just quit the team. I guess Rich Barnes never heeded Johnny Winter's warning: "There's so much $#!+ in Texas, you're bound to step in some."

That's all on tonight. I don't expect much quality action, but it's better than no college basketball at all. Enjoy.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote