Thread: SEC fans, why?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #35
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all
Default Re: SEC fans, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krevo View Post
However, to root for Alabama when you're supposedly a Florida fan is nonsense. Alabama just mopped the floor with Florida. Who the hell would want to support Bama because "they're in the SEC and it's my responsibility to root for my conference!" ?? I think there was a guy in another thread here who was actually from Gainesville cheering for Bama.

I'm the guy u were alluding to. Born and raised in Gainesville, Florida, am a senior at the University of Florida and yes in fact, was rooting for the Alabama against Texas just as much as I was rooting for LSU against Ohio State last year. My fellow SEC BOTLs have made great points and i will reiterate them.

I rooted for Bama b/ca I believe, as an overwhelming majority of other SEC fans do, that the SEC is the best conference in college football BAR NONE. The includes the belief that the SEC plays consistently at a level superior to other conferences. In my mind, Bama is Florida's peer and equal. If Bama turned around and lost to Texas, Texas would look better than Florida. I root for other SEC schools because I know that those teams sweated and bled through the toughest conference in the nation, just like Florida did, and I want them to show their dominance over inferior conferences.

Southern pride has a large part to do with it because while there are obviously other Southern schools in other conferences, Southern schools in the SEC are in large part the BEST football school with the most tradition in their respective Southern state. And if you wanna open up Pandora's box that occurs when you get Southerners talking about the pride they feel for their own state, go ahead. State rights have been cherished along with sweet tea, apple pie and momma down here for a long time .

I digress.....fans of schools in the SEC root for the SEC in general b/ca they all have unique pageantry, passion and tradition. Even if people might argue with that fact, it is perceived that way in the South. And as the saying goes, perception is reality.

Mark Twain said it best:
"North, East and West are just directions on a compass.
The South is a place."