View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Please help determine my next move

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaMkcK View Post
So, I've been studying this forum for some time, and finally got started on the amateur path. I have my MM Corncob, and have ran through almost 2 packs of Prince Albert. Got my loading proper, and only 3 matches per bowl.. I feel I want to step up, but I'm not trying to dump $300 on a pipe right now, so I've been looking at pipesandcigars and have been trying to determine what I should pick up.. I was looking at this pipe:

This guy

And then looking at getting some McClellands, like a tin of FrogMorton or the holiday blend...

But I just don't know which route I should go down.. I would like to keep this first purchase under $75.. So feel free to suggest whatever.. Just not a birthyear dunhill (Lol, I was born in 88 anyways, so it wouldn't be tooo bad )
My best suggestion would be to head out to a local pipe shop and get a feel for a bunch of different pipes. You want something that will feel good in your hand as half of each bowl(even if you clench) you will be holding it. You also want to determine if you're a clencher or not, that'll help determine between a straight or bent stem(you can clench a straight stem, I just find them uncomfortable to do so for me).

As far as baccys, I'd suggest trying a sampler(along these lines: http://pipesandcigars.com/vilapsa.html#.UOYFoHdYquI) with a number of different things to try, and finding which one suits your tastes best, then finding what the blend is and trying a bunch of things in that style blend(aromatic, english, VAPer, VA, burley blends, etc). You can check out tobaccoreviews.com to find the breakdown of most blends and reviews on them. You can also talk to your local tobacconist about what you liked and disliked about Prince Albert and he should be able to steer you to a couple things to try.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote