View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #187
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Received a 3 cupper Bialetti for Christmas. I have a few questions, first is the rubber o ring needed? I brewed 2 pots with it and it did not melt so I assume it is fine, I just ask since I have not seen it mentioned. 2nd until I get a burr grinder I am using some lavazza espresso grind that was so so but had a pretty sour note to it. I also took apart a few of my K-cups and used that as well since the grind seemed right, but that was WAY sour. Based on the sour taste should I turn up or down the heat?
Flat rubber gasket at base of filter? I can't imagine how the pot could pressurize without it.

I heat up the pot as fast as possible (for convenience) and, when I hear the rumble (or see the first spit of coffee or steam out the post) then drop the flame (or lift the pot away from the element on an electric stove) to slow it down and produce a slow trickle of coffee - 45-seconds worth for a 2-3 cupper, approx.

Burnt or bitter taste is usually too much heat. Slow down.

Sour taste is usually underextraction - too fast a brew and/or not enough coffee in the filter. Also, stop the brew to avoid the extraction running pale or clear. That last clear bit doesn't help.

Merry Christmas, coffee nutjobs.