View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #58
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

There are a ton of "Who gives a fark?" match-ups today, which I'll skip. For instance, does anybody but a Boilermaker care that Purdue spanked Coppin State? But here's some (prolly too many) for one to note:

# 4 (yeah, right) U Conn vs. # 22 (ehhh, OK) Florida State = This could have been a pretty decent championship game in this funky new tourney, save for the fact that it is the consolation game. Both teams spit the bit yesterday, though it is arguable that the Huskies spat it a good deal further. However, the size of the trophy does not affect the quality of the game, and this has good potential. You'd want to think both teams will be focused anyway, and both coaches would be p!$$ed. As for that championship contest . . .

Harvard vs. UCF = I have respect for any Ivy League team that can compete on a "national" level, and have a homegrown regard for any team which has a Jordan on the court. Other than that, I don't much care either way. That does not affect the possibility of a really good game here, however.

Penn State vs. St. Joseph's = And this could be a pretty good one too, as I think they'll match up well.

Northeastern vs. St. John's = And this could be better than Steve Lavin would wish.

# 25 Texas A&M vs. TAMU Corpus Christi = If I recall rightly, TAMU-CC pulled off a big upset over somebody last year. Today? Well, I'm not sure this would be as big a one, and I don't think it will be one at all. Aggies, comfortably.

# 19 Gonzaga vs. Western Michigan = OK, can somebody tell me how the 'Zags have managed to go 3-0 so far? Hey, I don't mean "How are they still undefeated?", but rather "Why have they only played thrice?". What are they waiting on, Christmas? Were they also involved in the NBA lockout somehow? Other than that, I really don't care how badly . . . or narrowly . . . they beat WMU.

# 20 California vs. Denver = And I don't care much here either, as a Golden Bear victory still won't tell us how much they deserve their ranking, one way or the other.

Bradley vs. Nevada = But here, well I don't know exactly why, yet I've got that feeling we could have a good 'un.

Charlotte vs. Wright State = And here too.

Detroit vs. Akron = And again here.

U Mass vs. Charleston = And again.

# 2 Kentucky vs. Portland = And . . . well, I guess the folks in Rupp will enjoy it.

USC vs. USC = That's right. The Gamecocks versus the Trojans in the consolation game out in Las Vegas. This should be a fairly close game, and I will go with USC ove USC in this one.

Iowa State vs. Rice = Here's another of those games I just have that feeling about. No, about which I just have that feeling, for all you grammarians out there.

TCU vs. Houston = And this in-state battle could be OK too, though I think the Cougars will eventually de-horn the Frogs.

# 11 Wisconsin vs. BYU = This also may be closer than the Badgers want, but I'm not sure I can recommend watching it. Both teams can have the tendency to plod, so unless you enjoy half-court contests in the 60s this may not be your cup of tea.

Tulsa vs. Missouri State = Here again, I don't have any clue why this popped out at me, but it did.

New Mexico State vs. San Francisco = I've a better idea why I like the potential for a battle here. I think they match up fairly well.

San Diego State vs. UCSB = Yet here again, I don't know why, but I feel the Aztecs will have a bit of a fight on their hands here.

Utah vs. N. C. Asheville = And for some reason I've latched onto the Bulldogs this year, which I'm not able to explain. Why would this 2-4 squad fascinate me so? Still, facing the 1-4 Utes gives us a shot at a decent struggle.

Northern Iowa vs. Providence = And here's just one more of those with that potential.

Southern Mississippi vs. Murray State = I foresee anther tough trial for Joe's Racers here, but I won't pick against them again . . . yet.

# 1 North Carolina vs. UNLV = The championship game of the Las Vegas Invitational, with the 6-0 Runnin' Rebels playing within walking distance of their home court. Meanwhile, the 5-0 Heels put 3,000 fans into the available 8,000 seats last night, so there's that going for them. These teams both like to run, and so far this year they are # 1 and # 2 in the nation for assists. The game will likely hinge on rebounds and TOs, as do many games. This will be Carolina's biggest test since that flattop game against the Spartans. They may falter, but I really don't think they will. Heels by 3 or 4 possessions.

Lunchtime. I'll likely be back shortly with early scores, and some select games from Sunday. Later.