View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #47
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

Aside from those already reported, here are the scores from Friday that struck me:

Mississippi State 67 - # 16 (though not for long) Arizona 57 = Those Bulldogs seem to have found their feet all of a sudden. This one is a bit of a shock, though I've said I have limited faith in 'Zona before now. Coupled with other early-season struggles involving PAC-12 teams, this year may be just as long as the prior several have been.

# 13 Xavier 66 - Miami OH 60 = It is much the same situation here also. As much as I do respect the Musketeers for having a quality mid-major program, I felt their pre-season ranking was a tad elevated. Coupled with their win over Morgan State by only a 74-63 margin, this 2-possession victory may indicate I'm not a total fool. Hey, it's early, and the X-Men could become monsters, but I'll need to see it first.

Valparaiso 62 - Akron 59 = And this surprises me too. I felt the Zips might be one of those "noisy" mid-majors, largely based on their road win over Miss. State, so thought they'd handle Valpo with relative ease. But they went cold at the precise wrong time, allowing Valpo to score the final 8 points. Well, looks like young Bryce Drew has a few more miracles left in his bag.

New Mexico 76 - Arizona State 71 = And this surprises me none at all. I figured it would be a tight contest, and it was.

Houston 87 - Arkansas 78 = And I figured this one would be tight too, and it was closer than the final score might indicate. The Cougars and the Hogs were tied 36-all at the break.

Maryland 78 - Colorado 71 = And this is probably about what one should have expected. Neither team is lousy, and neither is great either. I'm glad for the Terps getting a needed victory, but I don't expect this is any big statement one way or the other.

# 6 Duke 82 - Davidson 69 = When you consider the fact that this was in Cameron, and the fact that the Wildcats held a 35-34 lead at the half, and the assumption that the Blue Devils are a Final Four contender, this is not a very impressive margin of victory. As with Michigan State, Dook's one big run gave them a bulge to work with. I have no problem with that per se. Yet coupled with that squeaker against Belmont, it should perhaps give the folks in Durham pause.

Georgia Tech 73 - VCU 60 = As with the Terps, the Jackets have been a "down" program of late. This is no proof they are on their way back, but it is a decent win for them.

Already today Kentucky has spanked Penn State 85-47, to nobody's surprise, while Princeton is doing a comperable number so far on Buffalo down in Jadwin Gym. There's too many games for me to note all that may be good, so I'll just go with:

ODU vs. South Florida = These two should be pretty competitive, start to finish.

# 8 Louisville vs. Butler = And though I'd give Pitino's Cardinals a definite edge here, this one may be better than he'd like it to be.

Virginia vs. Drexel = I may be weeeeellllll off here, but I just have that feeling about this one.

# 20 Cincinnati vs. Presbyterian = Give the Blue Hose credit for once more being willing to play with the Big Boys. Give the Bearcats credit for being willing to sign a check over to them.

# 5 Syracuse vs. Colgate = You don't need to wonder where the yellow went this time of year. As is usual, the Orange are facing another cupcake in the Carrier Dome, as this one follows wars against Fordham, Manhattan, and Albany. Did you know that the 'Cuse won't play at someone else's home until they face N.C. State on Dec. 17th? Gawd-awful, you ask me.

Long Beach State vs. San Diego State = Like that UVA/Drexel game, I have that itch here also.

Duquesne vs. Akron = And here I go scratching it again.

# 18 Vanderbilt vs. N. C. State = I don't know if Vandy's early upset loss was an abberation or not, and I don't know if the 'Pack can continue to play as well as they have to date. So my interest in this one lies in the hope I'll get some sort of answer . . . and hopefully, a game at least close enough for Jerry to enjoy.

Charleston vs. Clemson = As I access my inner Simpsons, I avow that this just might be a match-up between the two best teams . . . in South Carolina. Could be a lotta fun too.

# 14 Wisconsin vs. Wofford = The Terriers just lost big to the Georgia Bulldogs, so I don't think they'll have much chance against the Big Bad Badgers. In fact, their only shot is to come out hot, grab a sizable early lead, and force the Glaciers to try and run a little. It's likely Wisconsin will own the boards, so Wofford's gonna hafta force some TOs for those extra possessions. Can that happen? Yes. Will it? I don't think so.

# 22 Gonzaga vs. Hawaii = If Mark Few can get his 'Zags off the beach, they shold have few problems arching over the Rainbows.

I'll come back later with some Sunday action. Until then, enjoy.