View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Absinthe Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
That's kind of like saying, "if a cigar doesn't get you high like weed why would you still smoke it?" People should drink absinthe for the taste, or they're wasting their money. Scientific studies of pre-ban bottles have shown that even back in the day, the amount of thujone in a properly made absinthe is negligible. The old stories about the green fairy are mythical.
Absinthe has a different kind of drunk in the way wine, beer or tequila all feel slightly different for the first few drinks, but if once you're drunk you're just drunk, no green fairies. I for one like the way it tastes & so I enjoy it, but it's a love or hate kind of thing and many of the people I'd shared it with think its disgusting, but please, don't fall for the "we have the most thujone around" marketing hype of many of the over priced czech-sinthes.
Also, thujone tends to clump, for lack of a better word, so the amount of thujone varies from bottle to bottle. There is, indeed, a "secondary effect", but it can be quite subtle.