View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
postjack

Default Re: Bad first pipe experience: Me or the tobacco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
For myself I just sprinkle the tobacco into the pipe, then lightly tamp it down. Then I just toss a little more on the top and light. Been working well for me lately.
Could also have been the tobacco. Might be worth checking out our Newbie Tobacco Sampler thread. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9168
thanks for the link, once I accumulate some more tobacco this could be fun to participate in.

I went to the Tinder Box and picked up a few 2oz bags of various aromatic blends: Anniversary, After Dinner, Captain Spice, and North Sea. Better packing combined with much better tobacco have made for a much better experience. I have to say, I might just be enjoying a change of pace, but right now I am enjoying the pipe more then the stogie, for a few reasons:

1. Time. I work full time, go to school at night, and somehow juggle a girlfriend and a social life as well. I love my life and wouldn't live it any other way, but unfortunately it makes it difficult to find time to enjoy a cigar. The times I typically find myself smoking are when I am reading a textbook for school, and while this is great, its high summer right now down on the Gulf Coast, and sometimes it is difficult to concentrate on the nuances of a stick for an hour+ while the heat index is 100+. So its been kind of nice this week to take a study break, and step outside to enjoy a short bowl.

2. Aftertaste/breathe after. This is something a friend of mine mentioned who recently took up the pipe. Basically my breath doesn't stink as bad after a bowl, as opposed to after a cigar. This is confirmed from GF feedback.

3. Cost. Hard to deny that at least the tobacco is a heck of a lot cheaper, so long as we keep that 7000% tax increase tabled. As a result of the low cost I see myself about to order a slew of different pipe tobaccos, though I haven't decided from which online vendor.

4. The pipes! I'm a collector by nature. I used to collect fountain pens a couple years ago, but fell out of the hobby. I see pipes as another opportunity to enjoy fine craftsmanship in a form I can use.

I see the art of packing and smoking as a challenge. I really appreciate the help y'all have provided in this thread, its time for me to go explore the Pipe subforum in greater depth now that I've gotten my feet wet.