View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bad first pipe experience: Me or the tobacco?

Starting pipe smoking is the reason there are so many cigar smokers. In a word, it sucks. Pipe smokers are though of as patient, stoic men. This is because you have to be very patient, and focused on smoking (in the beginning) which often passes for deep thoughts instead of praying the damn thing will stay lit.

Step 1. Stay the hell out of Walgreens. Go to a tobacconists, or online and buy a tin of something that isn't a sweetened tar ball. Look for frog Morton, a good beginner blend. I did my time with the good Capt., but leave some out to let it dry. A day, a week, a month? It will still be way to wet to smoke. They add a chemical to it to keep it moist which is probably not healthy, and keeping it moist is keeping your pipe hot wet and tasting like crap.

Step 2. Pack it lighter than you think it should be. Packing is 3/4 of what will make a good pipe, or a bad one.

Step 3. I smoked a lot when I had a few adult beverages in the beginning. Being slightly numb, and not so conscientious can help. Eventually, with diligence, you’ll have a pipe that is tasty and satisfying. It will be a while before you can guarantee yourself a great pipe every time, but it will come.
the MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote