View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #859
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
I've tried a couple OTC and now about 6 other tobaccos from H&H and GL Pease. None of them prepared me for the tin of FVF I just bought.
When I opended the can and picked one up it was as flexible as a sheet of rubber. It showed no tendency at all to flake apart. Even after leaving a flake out to dry for a full day it still was difficult to rub out. It did burn, but not well.

Does this tobacco usually come this moist? Should I think about rubbing this out first, then drying for a day or more? I've seen references to smoking flake by just folding it up and stuffing it in the bowl. It's hard to believe that's possible but is it?
Flake tobaccos are wonderful but any one may be different from the next. FVF isn't exactly a learner product. It's one of the worst flakes to twist or roll and stuff into a pipe; it's also hard to light unless it's quite dry.

The 2013 Moo Flake Scale

Bend a flake in half and if it:

1. bends - too moist
2. fractures a bit and frays without snapping - probly just right
3. snaps - too dry

FVF likes to be around 2.7 on the Moo Scale. Rough it up pretty good and definitely do not cram and jam because, as quickly as it warms up, it will expand quite a bit. Fill easy, tamp easy, rub out hard, light hard.