First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Yes!!!

Seriously though, it really is a combination of all of those things. I like a seriously dark bark on my pork so I add a pretty good coating of turbinado sugar after my dry rub is applied. The ingredients in your dry rub also make a big difference especially the amount of paprika and sugar.

The amount of smoke you allow the meat to get also makes a big difference. IMO one of the most common mistakes that less seasoned cooks make is to over smoke the meat. This will get the impression of having a really nice dark bark, but it is in fact the effects of creosote being deposited on the meat. When folks comment about something being too smokey this is what they are usually referring to.

Basically, to get a really nice bark you want to apply a quality rub, add a little turbinado sugar, smoke the meat at a low consistent temp, and if you foil, open the foil back up for 15-30 minutes at the end of the cook.

YMMV!!!!
Thanks, Brent. I had a feeling it was a combination of things.
I'll give the "turbinado sugar after the rub" technique a try.