View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I've always wanted to know more about the drying/curing process of the leaves. It seems like the fermentation would have the biggest effect on the final outcome of how the tobacco tastes.

I always hear people say it's the soil that gives Cuban tobacco it's unique flavor, but I'm guessing the curing process has a big part in it too. I mean, most NC manufacturers use Cuban seed tobacco. so if they're both growing the same exact tobacco, the difference in taste has to come from the soil, the curing process, or both.
Most cuban tobacco doesn't get any curing/aging to mention, compared to nc tobacco. That's why it sucks so bad.
It's picked this year and rolled next year. Aging happens in our humidors.
There are some instances where they'll sit on some tobacco and cure it for premium offerings that you can expect to pay $100 a stick for five year old tobacco.
Forgive my negative tone, but it is what it is. (And please realize that I'm speaking in generalities, and am full aware there are stellar cuban exceptions.)
On the other far end of the spectrum is the Fuente family who takes great care and pride in their aging and curing process, and take lots of years from field to rolling, then aging cigars even further in optimal conditions.
The care and crafstmanship yields a premium product of inherent value and exceptional smokability.

Which brings me around to this...
In years past, the Fuente family bought all cuban tobacco and rolled it here in the states, creating an incredible cigar and heritage.
I can only imagine the amazing cigars they could produce were the cuban tobacco available to them now.
That tradition and heritage doesn't exist (for the most part) in Cuban product.
It shows in the final product. I've smoked literally hundreds of fresh "premium" cc's, and they literally suck. Try a fresh Guantanmero. Or any Guantanamero, and you'll see wherew I'm coming from.

It's a real shame that cc's aren't all that they could be.
That said, I'd love to be able to try a fresh rolled cc while I was standing in Cuba just to see where the process goes to hell. The experience would be incredible, and invaluable.

I'm becoming more of a cc fan as years pass, and starting to appreciate all the pains botls have to go through to get a good cigar.
It's easier for me (and I'm lazy) to go buy a box of Litto Gomez Diez or Arturo Fuente cigars, because I know they're going to be of excellent craftsmanship and excellent smokability when they get to my house.
I don't have to babysit them for 10 years till they get good.
I also realize and respect that that's half the fun of being a hardcore cc fan.
The struggle to find a very good smokable cuban is a lot of fun if you've got the time.
I can say that because I do it, and it is fun.
So to wind up all the negatives and turn it to a positive, I enjoy both sides. I also look forward to the day when cuban tobacco is more available to craftsmen inside and outside cuba, because I think some absolutely incredible things can happen.