View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CONTEST! Research Epilepsy and win Cigars BIG TIME!

3 weeks later:

After almost a month of being in a coma, my son decided that there was still lots of ASS KICKING to do on this planet, and he opened his little eyes to tell daddy that he's ready for some more lessons:

The day we got home. Ready to come and kick some ass in a town near you!

Drake has Dravet Syndrome which is the most severe and fatal form of Epilepsy. He will never outgrow this. There is no cure. He will be plagued by seizures and poor developmental outcome for the rest of his life. His life expectancy is .. well let's just say I treat each one of his days as if it was his last. That's right, Drake and I kick ass every day.

So you might ask, why am I posting these pictures? A bad event happened in life and we moved on; what's the big deal, right? I got news for you: This is our routine. Hospital stays, worrying, fighting for his life is an every day thing for us. As a matter of fact, it's a routine for all people with Dravet Syndrome, and almost all of the ones with Epilepsy.

It's life threatening.

What is this contest REALLY all about?

It's not about you feeling sorry for me, my son or people that have Epilepsy. We don't need your pity, we're WARRIORS. We kick ass on a daily basis! We once had to take a day off from ass kicking but the following day we kicked ass twice as much to make up for it!

It's only to spread awareness. Most people have no idea what Epilepsy is. I want that to change. In order to do that, you need to educate yourself.

Use what I wrote above, use google, use books, use the link in my signature; whatever it takes and write an article or something like a letter that your parents or friends would understand, without the medical terms nonsense in it. It should be structured, easy to read and understand. It should be formulated in such a way that even the most ignorant person will say "Wow.. I had no idea!".

Here are some pointers for the structure:

-What is Dravet Syndrome?
-Describe a typical day and night of an Epileptic and their loved ones
-Is there a cure?
-How is it treated?
-How well is the research funded?
-Severity/life expectancy?
-Social impact
-Myths and facts

Scott and I will judge each submission and come up with a winner. As previously stated, PLEASE, if you have any form of Epilepsy, do not participate in this contest.

If you have any questions, hit up Scott (sevans105) or myself (fencefixer)!

Also.. if you're not participating in this contest, we surely could use your help to reward the winner(s) as well.

Let's get this started boys and girls, let's nuke this sucker straight from orbit!!!
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote