View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough
Exclamation CONTEST! Research Epilepsy and win Cigars BIG TIME!

Epilepsy research contest!
The best article written wins a nice set of cigars from Scott and me! Trust me when I say: You will be very well rewarded!!

If you have any form of Epilepsy, please do not participate in this contest!
The contest will be open until March 7th 2012, midnight EST. Please read on carefully!

LIVING WITH EPILEPSY
Epilepsy has been shrouded in stigma for thousands of years. However, recent media coverage in the New York Times and Newsweek has helped bring to light the staggering number of people affected by the disorder. You might be surprised to learn just how many friends, neighbors and colleagues are living with epilepsy.

50 MILLION WORLDWIDE
Epilepsy and seizures affect three million Americans of all ages. That is more than the entire population of a city the size of Philadelphia, and double the number of people known to be affected by autism. To take an even broader look, epilepsy affects 50 million people worldwide. That's more people than were living with HIV/AIDS in 2008, according to UNAIDS.

EVERY TWO MINUTES
Every two minutes a new case of epilepsy is diagnosed. Other two-minute facts that you may be familiar with include: how often a woman is sexually assaulted or a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer.

THIRD MOST COMMON
Epilepsy is the third most common neurological disorder in the US, after Alzheimer's and stroke, according to the Epilepsy Foundation of America. Is it really any surprise that you probably know someone with epilepsy, considering these numbers?

ON PAR WITH BREAST CANCER
The Epilepsy Foundation shows there are approximately 200,000 new cases of epilepsy and seizures diagnosed each year. According to Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the same number of breast cancer cases are diagnosed. Additionally, 40,000 people will die as a result of seizures, which is the same number of people that will die as a result of breast cancer.

SEVENTY PERCENT CONJECTURE
There are more than 40 different types of seizures and not all of them involve convulsions. And in 70 percent of the cases diagnosed, no known cause is found. Yep, you read that right: 70 percent.

STARTLING MORTALITY RATE
The mortality rate is two to three times higher among people with epilepsy and the risk of sudden death (brace yourself) is 24 times greater. Yet according to the American Epilepsy Society, "it is very uncommon but not unheard of for people to die with a seizure."

MYTHS AND STIGMA LIVE ON
Sadly, myths about epilepsy have not been completely dispelled, but it is time for a change, especially considering the huge number of people affected. Epilepsy is not contagious and you cannot swallow your tongue during a seizure. So just a friendly reminder: Next time you come upon someone having a seizure please don't stick your dirty old wallet in the person's mouth to keep them from swallowing their tongue. Ick.
(Source: http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-w...by-the-numbers)

I'd like you to meet my son Drake:

I know, I should have called a CUTE ALERT first.

He was doing what all other little babies do.

But...

Then this happened:

A few days later this happened:

We got THIS close to losing him twice that week.
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote