View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: How long do your batteries last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPhlyer View Post
I'm considering putting an old computer fan in my coolerdor and powering it with a cell phone charger. My question is one of basic electronics. The fan is a brushless DC fan calling for a 12VDC/1.60 amp input. The spare charger that I have only puts out about 9 VDC/800 milliamps. Will this (a) destroy the fan, (b) create a safety hazard, or (c) create the possibility of imparting an odor into the cigars stashed in the coolerdor?

a) Probably not, but check the voltage range on the label or with the manufacturer to be sure. 12VDC computer fans being able to run at 9VDC is common, they just turn slower.

b) If the 1.6A rating is correct, that's a 20W fan, at 9VDC it'll need about 2A (2000mA). So, yes with that fan, you'll have a safety hazard with your power supply being overloaded.

c) No.

Might be best to look for a smaller/less power hungry PC case fan, something in the more typical 1-2 watt range and voltage rated for 8-12 VDC or so. The 9V power supply you have will be more than sufficient for a fan like that and you can change answer b to "So long as your wiring is safe/proper, no"
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote