Thread: nice rums?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #91
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: nice rums?

Been meaning to post about rum, had the chance to try a few new ones over the holidays:

Bacardi 8 - I was pleasantly surprised. A lot more flavor in this one than every other Bacardi I've tried, and for the price, it's really darn good. I'd definitely buy this for mixing or even straight sipping. It's not terribly complex, but that's part of the Puerto Rican style that I like.

Don Q Grand Anejo - I was a little let down by this one. It's good, but tastes young for something labeled 'grand anejo'. Needed ice to cut the burn a bit, and the flavors were somewhat muted. Not bad, but a bit overpriced.

Zaya - I finally got my hands on a bottle. I started looking for one last January, but by then all the local shops had sold out and didn't get any more in until the shift to Trinidad rum. Definitely a strong vanilla flavor in this rum, very smooth, and quite sweet. It reminds me very much of the other Angostura rums, probably closer to the 1919 with a bit more sweetness. I've long been a fan of Angostura though, and I like the vanilla, so I'm very pleased with this one. I have no idea how it compares to the old bottle (can't find it locally, can't order it online...stupid state laws), but I'm happy with this one.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote