View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Demented

Default Re: That time of year again, Recipe testing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
I'm still trying to get my timing down, I'll work on tuning the recipes after I manage to pull off a perfectly cooked turkey done on time twice in a row...
Estimating the amount of time the bird needs to be in the oven at a given temperature is a good starting point. Cooking at the right temperature, in the proper manner gets us closer.

A probe thermometer is the best tool to insure the bird is cook completely through, and is not over cooked.

I like this one.

Stuffing the bird with bread of some sort can result in a dry bird because it will have to be cooked longer, and the stuffing absorbs moisture.

Cooking in a hot oven (350° F or hotter) can also dry the bird out.

Roasting (dry heat) is traditional but not always the best choice for very large, older birds, braising (moist heat) often works better.

A combination of the two methods works best for me.

I'll cook the turkey for half to three quarters of the estimated time keeping track of the birds temperature, in a covered pan with water, stock, juice or wine in the bottom of just up to but not over the roasting rack, this keeps the turkey moist rather then drying it out.

Removing the lid from the pan 60 – 90 minutes before it's done will allow the bird to brown.

Your oven, the temperature and humidity where your cooking can all play hell with the best plans.

If crispy skin isn't your goal, you can start off with dry heat until the bird is browned to your liking, then add liquid to the pan cover it and allow it to finish with moist heat. The liquid should be at least 100° F before adding it to the pan.

The info on this page should be of help.