View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Miss-Used Cigar Term! STOGIE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I think that anyone who has so much time on their hands to nitpick about out-of-date terms for stogies should get a job as a greeter at Walmart.

Language is dynamic. Terms take on new meanings. Being stuck in the past is just that.

I disagree. I think language is important. Dynamic, of course, but understanding nuances and perceptions is significant. At least, it can be if one wants to communicate. I'm not sure how an interest in English distinctions and variations makes them Walmart Greeter material...not that there's anything wrong with that

I had a botl friend that was insistent upon saying that he was 'going to enjoy a cigar' vice 'going to smoke a cigar'. He thought the distinction important. I didn't adopt his convention, but I respect it....and do use it at times.