View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Alec Bradley American Classic Blend (Pre-release)

Size: 6×50, Toro

Wrapper: Honduras (Connecticut shade)

Binder: Nicaragua (Jalapa)

Filler: Nicaragua (Esteli and Condega)

Strength: Mild

Price: $4.75

Grade: 9.3

Last week I received a package from Alec Bradley and was surprised to see two toro sized cigars with a simple white band that read Sample. There was a sales sheet with just a bit of information and otherwise that was it. I almost fired one up on the spot but I decided to let it rest for a few days – they looked amazing. I contacted Sam and Alan at Alec Bradley to get a little bit more information on the American Classic, which will release on May 20th, sold in boxes of 20. The patriotic cigar, releasing Memorial Day Weekend, is said to be an old school styled cigar, your grandfather’s kind of cigar.

The new cigar will be available in six sizes with excellent price points: Corona (5.5×42, $3.95); Robusto (5×50, $4.50); Toro (50×6, $4.75); Churchill (7×48, $5.00); Torpedo (6 1/8×52, $5) and Gordo (6×60, $5.50).

Pre-light, 1.8:
The reddish brown wrapper is definitely an eye catcher on this pre-release Alec Bradley. From the triple cap to the well formed foot, this really is a sharp looking cigar. There are no soft spots, the roll is even, and there are very few veins. The aroma is mildly sweet with strong hay at the foot and cedar and cocoa along the wrapper. The open draw gives off notes of pencil wood and a musty, green hay. This really is a nice looking cigar to hold – good weight, a beautiful wrapper, and a decent aroma.

Burn, 1.8:
The draw on the Alec Bradley is excellent and the smoke is incredibly thick and aromatic. The ash is clean and the burn line is spot on and this cigar requires no attention at all. Though the ash is a bit loose on the hold, I’ll trade that for a more open draw any day.

Flavor, 2.9:
Up front, the flavor starts off heavier than I was expecting, right in the middle range. It presents early notes of sweet honey, cedar, and a very mild cocoa. I am totally stunned by this. These flavors continue through the first third and the Alec Bradley settles into a very well balanced and smooth profile. There is a nice creamy undertone as well. Into the second third there is a mild spice on the tip of the tongue and the body increases just a bit. This is definitely the livelier portion of the cigar. The core is still a flavorful cedar with touches of fruit. The cedar also warms up in the middle third and even reminds me of roasted marshmallows for a moment. Into the final portion of this Alec Bradley sample brings a continued sweet and smooth profile, with continued bordering notes of cocoa and fruit, alongside the cedary core that is present from start to finish. Overall, this is an awesome flavor profile.

Overall, 2.8:
I don’t know hardly anything about this cigar, and when I smoked it I was unaware of the price; it smoked like an $8-10 cigar. These are incredibly well priced, at $4.75 for the Toro. Without question this would be a box purchase for me. With the beautiful construction, the great draw and thick smoke, and surprisingly complex flavor profile, this is a winner to be sure. I’m really interested to see how these progress with a bit of age. Alec Bradley has not been a go to for me, and as a whole they haven’t scored well at Toasted Foot, but I do love the 262 cigars produced by AB and I am very impressed by this sample; after this experience I plan to revisit some of their product.

(Total: 9.3)