View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #254
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Why the vacuum sealed bag? What is the purpose of that? Would a gallon ziplock suffice? I have a vacuum sealer, but the bags aren't exactly cheap.
A ziplock would work fine.
The point is to protect the cigars from drying out, which the freezer will do a spectacular job of. The bag will protect the cigars from being dried out at all, which is what you want.
Compared to a $150-$250 box of cigars, or a humi full of beetles, a vaccum sealer bag is dirt cheap.

If you want to save on the vacuum bag material, use a big, long sheet to start with. I'm talking 2-3 feet. Once you use it, you just snip off the end and only lose an inch or two of material each time you use it. You can use that same bag literally dozens of times. When it gets too short for boxes, it can be used for loose cigars, all the way down to where there's only a few inches left.
Mind ya, if you vac-seal loose cigars, don't suck the bags real tight. It mashes them. Take my word for it, been there, done that.