MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Collecting Cigars Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemedic View Post
Hello everyone! It's been a while here since I've posted, but needless to say I've been working my butt off to fund my cigar addiction! Last night my neighbor and I got in a discussion after seeing the 2014 Opus22 release information. He and I both wondered if long term collecting of cigars really has any financial value to them? Don't get me wrong, I have a few cigars that are older and hard to get and yet enjoy once in a while. But is there any real increase in financial value as some of these various releases get older? Otherwise, I'll just keep having that rare smoke tucked away to showoff and then one day smoke!

If you're thinking about buying some cigars in the hope that they'll increase in value, CCs are the way to go. It can happen with NCs, but IMHO, OpusX aren't the way to go, because they're released every year and it's hard to find a compelling reason to pay a lot more (on top of an already steep MSRP) for a 2014 Opus22 when you can buy the current release.

When I've seen NC cigars appreciate in value, it's because they're pretty special cigars that are hard to find. Some of the early special Tatuajes, for instance (I'm thinking T110 and Pork Chop), can command a premium, and some early special edition Viajes did too. But there's a fair bit of guesswork and risk involved.

On the bright side, I've generally found that collection-worthy NC cigars *hold* their value. If you buy a special box because you want to smoke them, and later decide they no longer suit your palate, or if you need to liquidate to get some cash or buy new cigars, you often can recover your costs or at least come close.

But I buy cigars to smoke, not collect, so I may just be talking out my a$$.