First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Virginia/Perique (VaPer) Showdown

Could it be????

A new VaPer Blend Review????

I’m bringing it back baby!!!!

I got sidetracked by English blends, Balkans, and even some OTC aromatics but I’m now back to my true love. Keep an eye out for several more over the next few weeks. This is also my 30th blend review. Oh how the time flies.

Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club – VR Blend

Site Description:
Simply called "VR", the monogram of Victoria Regina, Queen of England which Holmes adorned his wall with while doing a little indoor revolver practice in his rooms at Baker Street. It also stands for Virginia Rich, a pressed blend of bright, stoved and red Virginias with a touch of unflavored Cavendish and a hint of sweet and spicy perique.

Available exclusively at Pipesandcigars.com.

Appearance
This is actually a bulk blend and that is the only way that you can buy it. It is listed as a Krumble Kake but it comes similarly how H & H Anniversary blend used to come. There are some loose pieces and there are some solid chunks. I have ordered this a couple of times now and I have never gotten a full chunk or have it completely loose. All you have to do is tear a chunk off if you have a big piece and rub it out just a bit.

To me this comes a bit moist but nothing outrageous. I just let it dry out for a few minutes and it’s ready to go. It has some browns and blacks in there which is pretty typical of a VaPer and it also has some unflavored Cavendish which also accounts for some of the black pieces.

Aroma
Ahhhhh…..to me nothing smells as good as a nice VaPer blend and this one is no exception. This one has a bright citrus/fruity smell to it that is also sweet. You can also smell the underlying twang of the perique in there.

Initial Light
Once this was dried out a bit it was really easy to light. If you like it chunky then put a bit of the loose stuff on top and this will light almost immediately. The taste upon lighting was almost exactly how the blends smelled. It was bright and citrusy with a spicier undertone of the perique.

Middle and End of Bowl
This blend was very consistent throughout. It always retained its bright note and never really bottomed out like some blends do. The Cavendish also added a bit of fullness to the blend and made it even that much more interesting.

Overall
Well my overall impression is a great one. As stated above I have ordered this a few times and have some in the cellar as I think this blends will get even better with age.

This blend I would rate at about a medium in strength and is a great all day blend to smoke.

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake
3) GL Pease Tribute
4) Escudo
5)GL Pease Triple Play
6) GL Pease Filmore
7) Former’s Straight Grain Flake
8) H & H AJ’s VaPer
9) Low Country’s Waccamaw
10) Peretti’s Park Square
11) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
12) H & H Rolando’s Own