Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shilala Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
No humidor is perfect and the beads will need recharging.

If you put them in a sealed container with a water soaked spong you will raise the PH.

Still the question remains....
No, I'm not kidding. IF your beads need recharging you put them in a sealed container with a water soaked sponge.... just like the instructions on the website (and those that come with the beads) say so the beads can absorb additional moisture. That in turn will raise the RH of the humidor when you put the beads back in. If the beads scrub ammonia like the website claims then their effect on the PH will trend towards neutral, but in general PH is not a major concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
traditional humidors are meant to 'breathe', the seals aren't perfect because they aren't supposed to be.
I never said they didn't breathe, I said that unless you have a crappy seal or open your humidor all the time you should not have to add moisture. A well constructed humidor breathes primarily through it's wood, and the moisture loss should be very very minimal unless you happen to live somewhere extremely arid. The average RH in my area is typically around 40%, when I was using Heartfelt beads I would only have to recharge them maybe 3 times a year. Given everyone's posted and documented experience with HCM beads I expect that, once my humidors have reached the 70% steady state I'm moving them towards that I will for all intents and purposes not need to add moisture.

Your mileage may vary, but you are constantly and frequently having to add moisture you either live in a desert or have a leaky humidor
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote