View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #39
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Absinthe Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
At the expense of flavor. There are many fine absinthes that louche thick and opalescent without the aid of star anise. For most connoisseurs, the use of star anise is the mark of an inferior absinthe. I actually enjoy a pastis every once in a while, but I find Pastis and Absinthe to be entirely different drinks with different flavor profiles. If I want star anise and licorice flavor, a Pastis is the way to go. I find the flavors in absinthe far more subtle and complex.
As for the Jade line, it absolutely is a fine line of products, however, Lucid is their bottom tier entry for the US market. It is good, but not great. Jade Nouvelle Orleans is the only one of their higher line (that actually carries the "Jade" name) that is commercially available in the US, and it retails for almost twice the price of a bottle of Lucid. I would love it if the Jade Eduaord or Jade 1901 were available to purchase in US stores, but until they are, I will continue to recommend many other fine domestic absinthes over Lucid. Drink what you like and like what you drink.
And you are absolutely right! I, however, mostly drink it with lemonade (called a Hemingway), so it doesn't make sense for me to pay more than about $60 a bottle.