View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #65
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JoePa.....Sad if true....

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Scott, I have read the information to are saying you have read. I still have a different opinion. That is okay, we do not have to agree and I don't want you to feel like there is ill will because of that. I am not saying I am right, just expressing where I stand.

You say that Joe Paterno did everything he could.
Thanks for that post, EJ. I completely respect your opinion, as I do everyone else's. We are certainly all entitled to one.

I wanted to add that I didn't say Joe did everything he could.
My whole goal here was to point out that the assertions that he did nothing are patently untrue. He did many things that have been reported, and it's very likely he did much, much more that has not been reported.
Joe has said that in hindsight he wishes he'd have done more. I wish he'd have done more.
He's being vilified as if he did this himself, and it's wrong.
Four years before Joe knew anything, the local police, Department of Welfare, and the State Police were fully aware of what Sandusky was doing and they did nothing to stop it.
When Joe got was informed the very first time that something happened, even without specifics, he reported to the people he trusted to act on it and that trust was betrayed. Sandusky was his best friend, right hand man, in line to replace him as head coach, and someone he had great trust in. Joe told him he was not getting the job, removed from the football program, and completely cut ties with him. This was his best friend, and that's "doing nothing"? I can't imagine how crushed Joe must have been on so many levels, both personally and with the pain he felt for these children.
After Joe got rid of Sandusky, PSU Trustees then cut Sandusky a retirement deal that allowed him full access to PSU's facilities. I can't imagine what I'd do if I were Joe in that position. I can't even wrap my head around something like that. It's completely surreal.

That said, and even knowing so much about Joe over the last 44 years, I'm more than willing to consider he may have played a part in the coverup. It would make no sense whatsoever, but none of this does. I still have to consider it's possible because he's who he is.

I just think all this anger and hostility is misplaced. Maybe Joe has earned some, but he's the only one who has been shown to make some sort of effort to stop this or make a change in what was going on.
Graham Spanier deserves to be either shot or imprisoned for life, clearly. Tim Curley and Graham Schulz should suffer the same or worse. They knew what was happening and created an avenue for it to continue, as well as covering it up. The board of Trustees who let Sandusky have access to the facilty, knowing he was a rapist, should be right with the other three.
Yet the one man who tried to do something, even if it was true that it was almost nothing (and it's not), is being treated as if he did it himself.
That's wrong.

When this all washes out, I hope Joe is vindicated and it's proven that he went to great lengths to put a stop to all this. I doubt that'll happen, because no one wants to know. He's already been proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt all over the world. Even if he is vindicated, it won't matter. The damage is done.
But for the love of all that is true and right would someone please be angry at the men who actually did this and colluded to let it happen? That would put some sense to this senseless, evil, disgusting mess. Be mad at Joe, too, if need be. He may deserve it.
That's the part that is so upsetting to me.