View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #17
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
Trading: (2)
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My First Marathon

Well, just got back today. My goal was: (1) to finish (2) to run under 4 hours. I achieved both with a 3:42. I am very proud of that, but at the same time I felt great. I think I could have run sub 3:30 pretty easily. I just didn't know how to navigate the mass of people and got stuck behind a lot of slower runners. I couldn't get around them so I got stuck running 10 minute miles for the first 4 miles. I then picked it up to 8 minute miles and hit my stride. Not to shabby for a first marathon.

What an experience though. For anyone out there that is on the fence about doing a marathon, do it. A big chunk of humanity turns out to watch and cheer, and the camraderie and festival atmosphere is a lot of fun. Seeing all the OIF/OEF veterans out there running for friends of theirs killed in action as well as the multiple amputees is a very sobering sight. It is something that I'm going to have to do again next year. Besides, they started the race with an Osprey flyover. I hadn't gotten to see the new Osprey yet, and they look very cool.

I haven't gotten a chance to light one up yet, but I definitely will tonight. Now, I'm off to sleep and recover. My joints are killing me.
GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote