Thread: Beer Cellaring
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Beer Cellaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnoughStick View Post
Im pretty new to aging beer and had a quick question. When you guys cellar your beer do you place them in a fridge or do you put them in a cool dry place like your basement or something?
Fridge will dry up the cork too fast and beer is stored upright, so put in as cool dry place as you can find. Basement is good call and where I store mine. Put the beer on the concrete if it's not that cool. Hopefully the floor temp radiation will cool the beer some more. Larger bottles are easier to age if less than ideal settings.

Just be careful buying the beer. You don't want something already skunked. Try to get something special ordered right from the distributor. Often times, big bottles are stored up high and heat rises. Also, in the winter the heater can negatively effect beer at a liquor store. It's actually safer to buy in the summer as it's always air conditioned that time of year. You should know what the storage conditions have been up till you buy it.

750's are usually safe. I am talking about being cautious on 3L+ size bottles.