View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #809
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
I'd like to try to smoke a pipe occasionally and have two questions:

One is: I tried this before and was told to use a corn cob first as it is easier to break in as a started pipe, is that true?
Cobs break in easily, and are cheap if you find that you do not like smoking a pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Second is : I currently am a seasoned cigar smoker and when I started smoking cigars I was told to start off with milder cigars and work my way up gradually. But for me I hate mild or even medium smokes from the start, I feel it would be the same with a pipe, what is a nice strong, sweet flavorful blend to start with that is relaxing at night time? Anything helps, thanks! - Gabe
Strong vs mild is different with pipe tobacco. What do you mean? Strong taste or nicotine strong?

I don't know which of these I'd call "strong," at least not compared to cigars. Each of these varies a bit. But do not expect the same volume of smoke from a pipe as you'd get from a cigar. If you get the same volume from a pipe as you get from a cigar, you will probably be frying your tongue - not a pleasant feeling.

These are a most of my favorite non-aromatic (tobaccos w/out some sort of flavoring added) tobaccos.

Escudo
Esoterica: Dorchester, Penzance, Durbar, Stonehaven
Gawith & Hoggarth: Lousisiana Flake, Bright CR Flake, Mixture #12, Bob's Chocolate Flake
McCelland: 5100, 2000, 2010, 2015, 2015, 2035, 5115, 5110, Christmas Cheer
Rattrays: Hal O The Wynd, Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie
Samuel Gawith: Full Virginia Flake, St. James Flake, 1792
Peter Heinrichs: Strong Dark Kentucky

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.