Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
Back again with another question gentlemen.

What is sort of the general rule of thumb when it comes to puffing on the pipe? By this I mean that in the cigar world one draw per minute is the most general advice given, is there a similar timeframe with pipes? I've been experimenting with several different cadences and have yet to find one that really feels right. Thus far taking a small puff (sip I guess) every few seconds is working the best for keeping the pipe lit, but are longer paced fuller draws the better way? What's the best puffing method for really tasting the tobacco? Thanks again everyone, this is a new and exciting venture and it's really nice to have a resource like this available.
It depends on the tobacco really. Pure Virginias and Va/Pers are meant to be sipped and kept right on the edge of going out. By doing so, you can get puffs of sweetness you never knew existed in the tobacco world. English and Burley blends on the other hand tend to be very blend specific. There are several of these that I find deliver the best flavor when puffed like a steam engine, while there are others that taste best when smoked like a pure Virginia. Experiment extensively with what you're smoking.

This is why I always have to laugh when reviewers say things like, "I tried one bowl and knew it was not for me." I don't really feel I'm qualified to judge a tobacco until I've smoked at least 2 (preferably 8) ounces of a particular blend.