View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #929
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
Here's one I'm hoping you old farts can help me with. My pipe smells and tastes like an ashtray. Pretty badly too. I've had two bowls through it thus far and it's got a black char on the inside of the bowl. Is the ashtray taste and charring normal? I've ran about six pipe cleaners through it since I bought the pipe. The cleaners help a little but but it's still got a really strong ashtray smell and taste. I'm pretty sure it's something I'm doing wrong though, probably smoking too fast/hard. Any help ya'll can give me to get that smell and taste out is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Edit: it's a Missouri Meerschaum pipe and a burley house blend from the B&M that I'm smoking.
Since its a cob, no need to worry. Cobs need about 5-10 bowls smoked in em to break in. Those first bowls that "ashtray" flavor comes from the bowl getting its initial char. Once thats done itll calm down. Then you get my favorite thing about a cob after its smoked, that faint smell of my great-grandmother's corn if you smell the outside of the bowl.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote