View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: School me...I'm taking notes

I've been grinding my own since the Summer of 1984 and have enjoyed every bit of it. Still learning about the fine points of coffee brewing too.

As Dan mentioned, the Bodum French press produces a great cup of joe. Especially when poured into a slim 10oz cup. I use mine from time to time.

A Melitta one-cup with a brown #2 filter has been my mainstay since day one, and both can be purchased at your local supermarket.

Recipe:

Melitta w/#2 filter resting on a 10-12oz cup.

3 heaping Tablespoons of coffee beans (I enjoy Trader Joes House blend, Columbian/Sumatra blend non-decaf).

Grind for approximately 17 seconds and dump into your Melitta.

Bring water to a boil, turn off the heat, and let the water rest for approximately 30 seconds, then pour gently over the coffee grounds. You are now sparging the coffee grounds and extracting some good stuff into your cup. Pour gently while maintaining the water level almost even with the top of the Melitta. Be careful not to overflow the coffee cup while sparging. When your coffee cup almost reaches the top, you can quickly remove the Melitta over the kitchen sink drain and the rest of your liquid will disperse there.

And now, you have a great cup of coffee to enjoy in the AM with your Cremosa Jay