View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why not BIGGER than 1-3 cup Mokapot?

I have a 12-cup, 6-cup, a pair of 3's, a 2-cup and a 1-cup and I have a family that likes coffee. All the pots make good moka but they all need to make their max capacity each time you use one - no half-pots like you can do with press, for example. My 1-3 cup pots get used a lot - the others mostly sit, waiting, for the rare housefull of company that enjoys moka.

Smaller pots are easier to control and, therefore, I think they make noticeably better coffee. I also seem to hear, over and over, that folks new to moka buy big pots only to discover they need a lot of coffee to stoke them up and they make more coffee than they can drink. They all work but I'd rather make a 2 pots with a 3-cupper than 1 pot with a 6-cup.

Also, it's easy to drink too much moka and start to vibrate. Start small. Be happy.

In the end anyone should get whatever suits and post their conclusions - my advice is purely optional.