View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #33
Robulous78

Default Re: CAMPING GEAR Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
MSR. I have 2 MSR stoves, a Whisperlite (pre-shaker jet, probably 25 years old) and a Dragonfly, 10 or 12 years old, I would guess. Both bombproof. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment buying an MSR white gas stove if a replacement was needed. The Jetboil is a very nice one trick pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Jetboil seems nice... if all you ever want to do is boil water with expensive and far too unique of a fuel cannister. I never liked systems like that which always seemed top heavy once filled with water or food. And the gas cannister for most models says it will only boil 12 liters of water. So basically if you use half a liter for each meal you've only got a week of meals? I dont like the thought of that. What happens when you are 2 weeks from your next stop and you only have one tank?

MSR Whisperlite. Or Whisperlite International. Do it. Do it.
I have little experience with white gas stoves... all I remember hearing in boy scouts what that they were tricky and then out came the Coleman. with the MSR dual fuel stoves, obviously you can use white gas in the reservoir, but how easy are the canisters to find? how long do they last? are they expensive etc?