View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #355
Demented

Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGuy View Post
Got a question. What is the best way to go about removing the gunk left over in the very bottom of the bowl?
What "GUNK" are you talking about - When do you see this gunk?

If you’re talking about the moisture in the bottom of the bowl after smoking, leave it alone, you need it to form cake in the bottom of the bowl.

Let the pipe cool after smoking before stirring the dottle and ash up from the bottom of the bowl, place your thumb over the top of the bowl and shake the pipe to coat the inside with the ash, then set it down and leave it alone for 1 or 2 days, 3 would be better.

The next time you’re going to smoke the pipe, pass a pipecleaner through the stem into the bowl, making sure there aren’t any obstructions. Use a pipecleaner to gently remove any loose ash from the chamber walls, the “GUNK” from your last smoke will have absorbed into the dottle and ash you left in the bowl, this in turn forms the cake which will help to prevent the briar from burning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGuy View Post
I was just using the pick on my pipe tool, but feel like that may damage the pipe. Or maybe I'm just over concerned because it's a new pipe.
The pick is meant to be used for clearing obstructions from the draught hole. Obsessive scraping/picking at the inside of a briar pipe can ruin it, you may even pick a hole in the bottom of the bowl.