View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Winter BBQ, all day, all food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Grab your slow cooker and fill it 3/4 the way up with Chardonnay. Cabernet can be used and in fact I am a cabernet drinker but chard does OK here. Plus, the sauce is almost red and the cab would turn the pears red as well so the chard changes the pears to a golden yellow for color contrast (I am the hetero version of Christopher Lowell with presentation).

Heat up the chardonnay in the slow cooker with some cloves (4-6), ground nutmeg (1/4 TSP) and 2-3 cinnamon sticks. Drop the pears in and do them until thay are fork or toothpick tender. (maybe add 10 minutes after that). Add peeled (stem in tact) red crimson pears (or substitute others) and cover.

For the sauce:

In a saucepot, combine blackberry,or any other kind of berry (Straw, Rass, Blue). I would use the golden raspberries if you can find them to go with the pears poached in cabernet (this receipe inside out). Combine the berries with sugar and chunks of mango. Take off the heat when the sugar combines thoroughly and put in a blender until smooth.

Drain the sauce through a fine sieve or cheescloth to remove the seeds from the berries (not the case with blueberries). Put into a squeeze bottle

Take the pears out of the cooker. put them in a bowl stem straight up. Spoon a bit of vanilla ice cream on the side of it with a spoonful or two of the sauce over top and your done. Plus it makes the kitchen smell good. I'll try to remember to take pics.

(The adding of the pears should come after that Christopher Lowell comment.)

Sorry, I had a few bourbons tonight.