Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough
Default Goose sandwiches

Ok, I realize that this won't be interesting to everybody, but I discovered a cool way to cook up some Canada goose breasts that I had shot last season. I just wanted to pass it along!

Last season, I shot 2 geese on a cold Saturday morning, breasted out both birds, and froze the breasts in gallon freezer bags. I just found them in my freezer last week and decided to do something different with them. When I thawed them out, they both smelled pretty "gamey" even to me, so I knew that I would have to work to get them edible. I threw about 2 tablespoons of salt in a large bowl, added the breasts, and filled with water. Each day for 2 additional days (i.e. three cycles total), I emptied the water and added fresh water.

On the third day, I threw the breasts into a crock pot and sprinkled a few simple spices on top of them (garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper). I added water until only the tops of the breasts were exposed, and I threw 2 bullion cubes into the water for flavor. I set my crock pot to low and let it cook for 6 hours.

At 6 hours, I put a fork into one of the breasts and twisted it to make sure that it was done, and the meat easily shredded. At first, I was going to shred the meat and add BBQ sauce to it, but the flavor was so good "as is" that I decided to just leave the meat in the juices in the pot. We had hamburger buns left over from a weekend cookout, so I served the goose sandwiches on plain hamburger buns.

Amazingly enough, the goose turned out great, and even my uber picky wife had a sandwich and liked it. I thought that I would just pass on a success to other hunters that might need a different technique for tempering a "gamey" piece of meat. Enjoy!

Nick
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote