View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #22
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default Re: Xikar X8 Carbon Fiber Cutter

I have used Mac's X8. I think when he commented on "sturdy" what he ment is that is is a lot lighter, no heft to it. The couple of cuts I made with it were good. But it is a new cutter, let's see how it cuts after a couple of months use.

The dip that appears to be able to hold a cigar is not as big as it seems. I tried it and if the table gets a small bump it rolls/bounces out. It is not a secure place to place the cigar. I do like the heavier Palio feel beater.

So, for the $25 versus a black Palio for $35, that's the question. Both are reputable companies with warranties that can't be beat. If the X8 can keep an edge like the Palio it's gonna be hard to recommend the Palio for an additional $10. And if you like the Carbon fiber look/camo look, the Palio runs $47 and up versus the $25. The Palio has a slight edge in the holding of a cigar but as I never set mine there it is a moot point to me.

One could argue the Palio comes with a case, $10 worth.... personal opinion time. As I have lost my Palio, I am holding off on a new cutter until I can see how Mac's works out.

-----------------

edit - just saw the Monster deal - pulled the trigger on 2. At $15 ea, that becomes a good deal.