View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Short wave radio

Oh, yeah! DXer from way back. My first real hobby. While living in Europe, I listened to AFRTS for baseball games. I also collected QSL cards. Had some nice rigs, had some nice antennas.

Once I moved to the USA I was more of an AM DXer, trying to- again- listen to baseball games and collecting QSL cards. I actually picked up KFI LA CA from Cinci one morning. I have 21 acres out here, and strung up Beverage antennas in the four compass directions, and was able to switch between them for best reception. I have a pond way in back, and terminated one in the pond for even better reception and directivity. I also picked up Algeria on LW one day!

Now, of course, you have XM radio that has all the baseball games available, most SW stations are on the 'net and/or internet radios(just google it) and money problems have all but ended the QSL hobby.

There are still great radios out there, but I have taken down my long wire antennas(my house looked like a spy den with all those antennas!)and haven't DXed in a number of years. But, I'd be happy to answer any questions and send you to places that still exist for equipment!

CQ DX, CQ DX de WDX4HMR. 73!