...I shew you a mystery..

First Name: Den
Trading: (1)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
daboose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Water pillow or Boveda humidity pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
And what reading does a Boveda for the same length of time, temp and location give you. Did you dry off the outside of the Water Pillow before placing in the bag? How long was your soak time? Did you use the bag with it or not? It all matters.

I am not an advocate for the Water Pillows - I am saying though that they do have and can fill a niche perfectly fine in humidification of cigars and pipe tobacco.

Over the years I have used and sent out hundreds of Water Pillows and a lot of Boveda packs. I view both of these items as temporary use and not for long term humidification. In that respect Water Pillows get my vote every time simply because they are cheaper. Water Pillows are what, about 50 cents each compared to about $4 for each Boveda bag.

Really though the bottom line is use what ever makes you happy - cause your cigars really don't care if you spend that extra $3.50 -

Between Water Pillows, Boveda packs, PG solutions, foam, sponges, tap water, distilled water, kitty litter, gels, crystals, beads, etc etc - what ever works for each individual is the correct one to use. Personally I don't check my humidity level but maybe every 4 months or so - and when I do check it, it's always between 63 and 65%. And I haven't spent a dime on any of the above items in years.

Ron
Yup followed their instructions, made certain the bag was dry.

Did the same test with a 65% HeartF tube of beads...hygrometer read 65%. I tried to employ/emulate a method in how I would use the pillow; that is, throw a pillow in a zip lock for traveling, etc.

Their web site doesn't even advertise %RH. It's just states they "keep cigars fresh." Oh well.

And your right...whatever makes you happy.
daboose is offline   Reply With Quote