View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just won a few pipes from Epay, now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarre03 View Post
Ok, there actually is a TinderBox near me, I never go in there because its usually pretty pricey. I will have to check it out, the Sherlock sounds good. I probably wouldn't be too up for aromatic, not a sweet kind of smoker, lol.
Tobacco looks pricey, but consider what you are getting. A single cigar cost you what, $3-$23? What do you normally pay for your cigars? That is the cost of a one and a half hour smoke.

Now take expensive pipe tobacco - say $20 for a 50 gram tin (and that'd be really expensive). That amounts to $2.00 a pipe full if you have a big pipe that takes 5 grams of tobacco - and that is your hour and a half smoke. Normally, you get about 4 grams to a pipe bowl, if you pack it fairly tight.

Now, to put that into perspective, if you get some 8 ounces of tobacco at Tinder Box at $24 (what one TB is selling 8oz for), you will get about 56 smokes out of that 8oz. That comes to about $0.43 a smoke. You can't get Swishers for that little.

Even smoking the expensive stuff, compared to cigars, pipe smoking is cheap.

And if you get estate pipes, you can always sell them later on for about 1/2 their new price - if you take care of them.

As for what tobacco to try? I'd suggest going to a locoal tobacconist, maybe the Tinder Box and get an ounce of an aromatic (tobacco with a flavoring added), a burley blend, an English blend, a straight Virginia blend, and a Virginia with Perique. Try them all.

Everybody's taste in pipe tobacco may be much different than their tastes in cigars. They really do not compare.

Peace of the Lord be with you.