Thread: The Wine Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #297
mrreindeer

Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
I'm a fan of Chimney Rock....I can usually find the cab for around $40/bottle.
Good stuff Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Right before the Merlot craze (early 80s?), before the Pitite Syrah craze, before the Pinot craze. When will we get back to Zinfandel? What are we on right now? (I'm talking about mass popularity). I don't pay much attention anymore.
Anyone remember the "Pink Zinfandel" craze?
Maybe it's time for Sherry to come back around.
Honestly, the PN wave passed right under me and I barely noticed. I never saw "Sideways". I don't quite understand the reference, except that Pinot Noir must have been a major part of the plot. David Bruce winery is just up the road from me so I have been drinking lots of good Pinot for a long time.

Cheers *clink*!
I think we're in Syrah-land right now, or at least I am. I've really enjoyed being in Cab-land, Zin-land & Pinot-land, but I really haven't spent a lot of time in Syrah-land or Petite-Syrah-land and I think I should.

I just bought a bottle of Syrah called 'Sequel' and it was pretty good. Still, I really prefer full, jammy, long finish, smooth reds and I think Syrah & PS are considerably lighter.

As for Zin's, which I love, a decent priced & good Zin is Ridge Vineyard's Lytton Springs. You can usually find it anywhere and on most restaurant's wine lists and even at restaurants, I haven't seen it higher than $60 which ain't bad for a good, nice wine while out to dinner.